Palani Hill Temple is the abode of Lord Murugan(Sri Subramanya Swamy). The main deity(Moolavar) of this temple is known as "Dandayudhapani Swami". The deity in Sanctum Santorum is in a standing position with a baton in his hand. The other deities of the temple are Goddess Srivalli and Sri Deivanai. The temple is situated on top of the Hill at about 150metres from sealevel in Palani Town, Tamilnadu.
Arulmigu Dandayudhapani Swamy Devasthanam is opened at 6:00 in the morning and closed at 8:30 in the evening.
Arulmigu Dandayudhapani Swamy Devasthanam Address:
Arulmigu Dandayudhapani Swamy Thirukoil,
Temple Contact Telephone Numbers: 04545-242236/242467/241417
History and Significance of Arulmigu Dandayudhapani Swamy Devasthanam:
- It is said that Hill Temple was built by Chola King.
- It is believed that the Idol of Dandayudhapani Swami was made by SiddharBhogar(one of the 18 Siddhars born in the world).
- It is also believed that the main deity is made out of an amalgam of nine minerals called NavaPashanam(Veeram, Pooram, Rasam, Jathilingam, Kandagam, Gauru Pasanam, Vellai Pasanam, Mridharsingh and Silasat).
- The height of the Temple hill is about 150metres and there are 693 steps from the bottom of the hill to reach the temple on the hill.
- The distance of Pragaram around hill(GiriVeethi) is about 2.4KM.
- The temple is administrated by Hindu Religious Charitable Endowments Department.
Palani is a temple town of most sacred shrines of Lord Subramanyan(Sri Murugan). Among them Palani Hill Temple, the abode of Dandayudhapani Swamy is the main temple in Palani temple town. The other important shrines in and around Palani town are
|Name of the Temple(Thirukoil), Palani Town||Main Deity(Moolavar)|
|Thiru Avinankudi||Lord Murugan|
|Pada Vinayakar||Lord Ganapathi|
|Periyanayaki Amman||Goddess Paravathi Devi|
|Periya Avudaiyar||Lord Shiva(in the form of Lingam)|
|Lakshmi Nayayana Perumal Temple||Lord Vishu|
How to Reach Palani Hill Temple:
By Road: Buses are available from all major cities/towns of Tamilnadu to Palani Temple Town.
By Rail: The Palani railway station is situated on the Dindugal-Coimbatore rail line. The Murugan Temple is about 2KM from Palani railway station.
By Air: The nearest airports are Coimbatore, Madurai and Tirichi and next near by Airport is Chennai.
Distance to Palani Temple Town from different places: