Amarnatha Yatra is arduous Yatra which involves climbing upto nearly 14,000 feet. Trekking in the high altitude route to the Holy Cave is difficult and, besides, inclement weather also poses challenges for the pilgrims. Hence Shri Amarnathji Shrine Board advised Yatris to follow strictly Do's and Don'ts of Pilgrimage for smooth completion of Holy Sri Amarnath Yatra for the year 2015.
Shri Amarnathji Shrine Board announced the duration and commencement of Shri Amarnath Yatra for the year 2015. The Amarnath yatra begins on July 2, 2015(Thursday) and concludes on August 29, 2015(Saturday) with a duration of 59 days. The offline registration process started from March 2, 2015(Monday).
1) Prepare for the Yatra by achieving a high level of Physical Fitness. You are advised to start at atleast a month prior to the Yatra at least a 4-5km Morning/Evening walk. For Improving the oxygen efficiency of your body, you should start doing deep breathing exercises and Yoga, particularly Pranayam.
2) Your journey shall involve trekking across high mountains, facing strong cold winds. You must carry (i) adequate woolen clothing; (ii) a small umbrella (preferably one which is tied with an elastic band around your head and supported by a strap around the chin); (iii) windcheater; (iv) raincoat; (v) waterproof trekking shoes; (vi) torch; (vii) walking stick; (viii) cap (preferably a monkey cap); (ix) gloves; (x) jacket; (xi) woolen socks; (xii) trousers (preferably a waterproof pair). These items are essential as the climate is highly unpredictable and changes abruptly from sunny weather to rain and snow. The temperature can sometimes abruptly fall to 5 degrees Celcius or lower.
3) For Ladies: saree is not a suitable dress for the Yatra. Salwar Kameez, pant-shirt or a track suit will be better. Ladies who are more than 6 week pregnant shall not be allowed to undertake the pilgrimage.
4) Keeping in view the tough nature of the trek, children below 13 year in age and elderly persons above the age of 75 years shall not be permitted to undertake the pilgrimage.
5) It would be better if the porter / horses / ponies carrying your luggage travel just in front or behind you, as you may suddenly need something from your baggage.
6) During the Yatra from Pahalgam/Baltal onwards, you should keep spare clothes/ eatables in a suitable water proof bag to ensure against their getting wet.
7) Carry a water bottle, dry fruits, roasted grams/channa, toffees/gur (jiggery), chocolates, etc for use during the journey.
8) Carry some cold cream/Vaseline/sunscreen to protect your hands /face against sunburn etc.
9) You should not trek alone. Always travel in a group and ensure that all those comprising the group, walking in front of you or in the rear, always remain in your sight, to ensure against your being separated from them.
10) To enable prompt action being taken in case of any emergency, you should keep in your pocket a note containing the name/addresses/mobile telephone number of a member of your group with whom you are travelling. You must also carry your Yatra Permit and any other identity card.
11) On your return journey, you must leave the Base Camp along with all members of your group. In case any member of your group is missing you must seek immediate assistance of the Police and also have an announcement made on the Public Address System at the Yatra Camp.
12) You should provide all possible help to your fellow Yatris, travelling with you, and perform the pilgrimage with a pious mind.
13) You must strictly follow the instructions issued by the Yatra administration, from time to time.
14) Earth, water, air, fire and sky are integral parts of Lord Shiva. The Base camp and the entire Yatra routes are the abode of Shri Amarnathji. Throughout your pilgrimage you must respect the environment and do nothing to pollute it.
15) All waste materials must be placed in the nearest dustbin. All organic wastes must be put in the dustbin which is green coloured.
16) Lavatories/ urinals, installed in the camps and other places enroute the Holy Cave, should be used.
1) Don’t stop at places which are marked by warning notices.
2) Don’t use slippers because there are steep rises and falls on the route to the Holy Cave. Only wear trekking shoes with laces.
3) Don’t attempt any short cuts on the route as doing so would be dangerous.
4) Do not do anything during your entire forward/return journey which could cause pollution or disturb the environment of the Yatra area. Use of plastics is strictly banned in the State and is punishable under law.
For more details contact...Shri Amarnathji Shrine Board(May to October)
K-Villa Sohravardi House,
Pin Code: 190004
Phone No. : +91-194-2501679, 2468250
Tele Fax : +91-194-2501679