Ambarnath is the abode of Ambreshwar Shiv Mandir. The main deity of the temple is Ambareshwara Swamy(Lord Shiva) in the form of Linga in Garbha-Graha(Sanctum). The name "Ambarnath" refers to "Lord of the Sky". There is no roof over the Sanctum of the temple. The main deity of the temple is exposed to the Sky(means Amber). This ancient Ambernath shirne is located in Thane district, Maharashtra State.
History of Ambernath Temple:
According to temple inscriptions, the ancient shrine was constructed in 982 A.D. during the reign of "King Chhittaraja", Shilahara dynasty. The temple was restructured and completed in 1060 A.D. during the reign of his son "Mamvaniraja(Mummuni Raja)". It is said that Sri Guru Nanak visited the temple around 1415 A.D. The Ambarnath Temple is the oldest shrine in the coastal parts of Maharashtra state. Locally, the temple is also called as " Puratana(old) Shivalaya"
Ambarnath Temple Architecture and its Significance:
- The temple is in "Hemadpanthi" styled and beautifully carved & decorated out of a Single Black Stone.
- The temple exterior as well as interior are adorned with exquisitely carved images of Hindu Architecture, Idols and Animal decorations.
- The temple architecture is similar to Dilwara(Delwara) Jain Temples of Mount Abu, Rajasthan State.
Important Festivals of Ambarnath Temple:
- There is a big festival(Jatara) is being celebrated on the occassion of "Maha Shivaratri" Festival in every year.
- The festival celebrations are being conducted for 4 days. The festival schedule is Two days before Shivaratri, the day of Maha Shivaratri and the day after Maha Shivarathri.
Ambernath Temple Timings, Maharashtra:
The temple is opened from 6:00am to 6:00pm in all the days.
How to Reach Ambarnath Temple(Distance from Mumbai):
- The ancient temple is located at a distance of 60KM around from Mumbai city.
- The temple town is well connected by Road and Rail. The temple town is part of Mumbai Metropolitan Region in Thane district.
By Road: Maharasthra State Bus service is available from Mumbai as well as various parts of the state.
By Rail(Train Route): Ambarnath(East) Railway station is available in this city on Mumbai-Pune railway route. Ambarnath is also well connected by Sub-Urban Trains from CST, Mumbai.
The temple is located at a distance of 2KM from Ambarnath(East) railway station.